Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Motions

There are some things that I absolutely love to do. Cooking for example... love it! Playing the piano, singing to the radio, in the shower, in church or really anytime, a cup of coffee or three, talking on the phone, talking in general, public speaking, crafty things, decorating, being in the middle of nowhere, and taking pictures... especially of ranch life. Inevitably, there are some things that I don't enjoy. I really don't like to clean, I hate doing the dishes, I am awful at folding laundry, I can't keep my pickup clean ever, and i might could lose my head if it wasn't attached. I don't enjoy homework for most classes and I don't enjoy applying myself to things I have no interest in. The Lord has given me the gift of passion. I am passionate about agriculture, ranching, music, crafts, cooking, and life out of town. It is easy for me to do the fun things, the things I enjoy because I am passionate about them.

I think that it is often hard to remember that even the things I don't enjoy doing are tasks He has given me to do. For instance, English, I absolutely hate writing papers, I hate having rules about writing and I really just don't like liberal philosophy. However, He put me in an English class on purpose to fulfill His will. Even though it often is difficult it is important to realize that we don't do things for ourselves, for our instructors, or for institutions, but in all things we do them for the Lord. He has given us tasks and has asked that we fulfill them even though they may not be enjoyable. They are put in our paths for a reason. There is a song that I love, a line states, "I don't wanna go through the motions, I don't wanna have one more day, without you're all consuming passion inside of me. I don't wanna spend my whole life asking, What if I had given everything, instead of going through the motions."

I am reminded of my business and my innate ability to set things that I don't enjoy aside or to only do them partially because I don't necessarily want to be passionate about them. It is a goal that I have set for myself to be passionate about all tasks, obstacles and opportunities He has given me, not to only be passionate about the fun things, the cooking, and the crafts, but to strive to be passionate about laundry, dishes and boring homework as well.

Instead of handling the tasks, obstacles and opportunities He puts on our path like a Democrat handles their taxes, let's actually do them, do them well and give every opportunity our everything, instead of just going through the motions.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say you find it so easy to complete tasks that are your passion but find it so difficult to be passionate about those things in which you have no interest. And for someone that dislikes writing papers for English class, you write blog posts quite well..haha

    ReplyDelete