Thursday, November 25, 2010

Harvest of Thanks!

Thanksgiving is here again and my goodness do we have a lot to be thankful for. As I reflect back to Thanksgiving as a little girl, tons of pumpkin pie, ravioli, beef and even turkey fill my food memories. Accompanied by dinner table memories are memories of chores, cutting wood with dad, or branding calves over the holiday. From a young age, my family instilled in us children the importance of working hard and returning thanks daily. Returning thanks for our blessings is an everyday occurrence for most ranching and farming families. I am thankful for the producers that produce the safe and delicious foods that I get to consume daily. Not only am I thankful for their hard work, but I am also thankful that my friends and family have the ability to earn a livelihood producing food to help feed a hungry world. Unlike many in the world I have never experienced real hunger. My family has been blessed to never be in a situation where we ever went without a snack. In fact I am not sure that I know very people personally who have ever experienced hunger. I am not referring to that feeling of, “my goodness I need to eat” after a long day branding calves or playing sports. I am referring to the many men, women and children who go to sleep at night with hungry bellies not knowing whether sustenance will come with the new day. Today there are thousands of people in America who don’t wonder what will be for supper as I do, but wonder instead whether there will be supper at all. American agriculture is helping to end hunger in our country and around the world. The men and women of American agriculture receive my food thanks this year. Because, even though we have different interests, produce different products and come from a variety of backgrounds, we have this one thing in common… Farmers & Ranchers care, we care about our land and animals, we care about helping to reduce global hunger, we care about YOU.


If you want to know more about what we do, just ask us! I encourage you to contact a local farm and ranch to arrange for a day trip to learn about what they do day in and day out. I encourage you to read more about agriculture from my friends listed in the left hand column. For more information about how American farm & ranch families are helping to aid world hunger check out www.farmersfeedingtheworld.com and tune in to AgDay on RFDTV Today, Thanksgiving Day, for a special episode about the farmers that feed us "A Harvest of Thanks".


I hope that you and your family enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving! God Bless,

~ Anna-Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Anna-Lisa,
    You couldn't have said it better. This is what Thanksgiving is all about. Not only being greatful for what you have but caring and helping those who do not have what you have.
    Your blogs make me feel so good, just by reading them and this one in particular makes me want to go out and do something for someone less fortunate... Thanks for all that you do.

    Liz Rogers

    ReplyDelete